Saturday, April 02, 2005

Saree and me!

When I was a young I often wondered why Indian women wore sarees. I felt mesmerized and mystified at the same time. Mesmerized for I liked the way my grandma, Mom and most women looked when they draped a saree, and mystified for I marveled at the ease with which the unstitched fabric was able to lend shape and grace to the wearer.

I still am fascinated by these six yards because these are not just interlaced fabric, but a weaver's imagination and a wearer's interpretation. The saree has a story, it has a culture, and it depicts our norms and traditions.

It lends and depicts freedom. The weaver sets his ideas free and intertwines them into a saree, which is the child of his labor and imagination.
He weaves a story in it for others to decipher. The wearer is at a liberty to interpret this story and is free to drape it as she pleases. Such is the power of freedom in a saree.

To the women, a saree lends grace, poise, sensuality, glamour and even that oomph factor and yet a look all pure and dignified. It is one dress, which crosses all borders and manages to unite women in the subtlest manner and gives them the freedom to choose.


Saree to me means a freedom to desire, a freedom to choose, a freedom to be.

2 comments:

  1. well,

    saree... Can we get some more indian women and tradition...

    one thing i used to do in college was to go upfront to gals and ask why aint u wearign bangles...

    they say ohyeah we like them but they are more than a tangle...

    Sat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarees Ansh, are beautiful

    serene and sensual at the same time, I like sensuality more, it has its own beauty which only a few can see.

    regards.......Abhishek

    ReplyDelete